daily meal

Thursday, December 20, 2012

S'mores Hot Chocolate

For this months Improve Challenge, Kristen from Frugal Antics of a Harried Homemaker had us create a recipe using marshmallows and chocolate.  Due to the time of year, I was so excited to use these two ingredients, because I immediately thought, "I'll make hot chocolate!"  I mean, what's better than curling up on the couch and sipping on some hot cocoa this time of year!?  But then I thought, why not jazz up the hot chocolate and make it a little more interesting? Enter, s'mores hot chocolate!


S'mores have always been a summer campfire treat for me, but with this hot cocoa, you can enjoy s'mores for another season! I also love my hot cocoa to be a little more rich and chocolaty, so I never use water, only milk, and I use dark chocolate cocoa powder.  Trust me, I am not normally a dark chocolate fan, but I love this!

S'mores Hot Chocolate

Ingredients:
-1/2 cup sugar
-1/3 cup dark cocoa powder
-1/2 teaspoon salt
-Milk
-Marshmallows
-Graham crackers

Directions:
In a bowl, whisk together the sugar, cocoa powder, and salt.  This is your hot chocolate mix.  What is great about this, is that you can store it in a container and scoop from it whenever you crave hot chocolate.

When ready to make the hot chocolate, take a mug and fill it with milk about 2/3 of the way up.  Heat the milk for about 1 minute and 30 seconds.  Then, scoop 2 tablespoons of the hot chocolate mix into the mug and stir it in until it dissolves in the milk.  For the purposes of this post, I wet the rim of the mug before filling with milk, so that the graham cracker crumbs would stick to the edge.

Next, break off a few little bits of graham cracker and place them in the mug, on top of the hot chocolate.  Then, pile as many marshmallows as you wish on top of the graham cracker.  I then sprinkled on some more graham cracker crumbs for a little extra crunch!

Using a kitchen torch (or broiler), lightly torch the marshmallows.  Then, grab a spoon, dig in, and enjoy!


For other great chocolate and marshmallow combinations, check out the recipes below:



Pin It

7 comments:

  1. This is genius! Love that you rimmed the cup with graham cracker crumbs and the toasted marshmallows on top are just fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think decadence best describes this cup of goodness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great presentation. I can just see the fun chocolate/graham mustache we'd all get drinking this yummy treat:-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, my gosh! My kids would love this extra decadent version of hot chocolate! So pretty in your mugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This turned out so pretty--nice job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Simple yet divine...that's what I like! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete